Things I Don't Remember

eating snacks all around the world

Monday, November 7, 2011

An Education

Today, my mom sent me a link to a CNN news story about South Korea having one of the top education systems in the world. The clip showed Obama asking ROK President Lee Myung Bak for his thoughts on education, and praising Korea for having such a progressive stance. While I wouldn't disagree, I don't think having "the top education system in the world" necessarliy equates to having a system that is problem free, fair 100% of the time, or even considerably more effective than education systems from other parts of the world. I'm not dumping on the education system here, rather I think it's very good, and I'm certainly thankful to have the opportunity to be here, but it's difficult not to notice that corporal punishment is more prevalent than not, and the special education programs are virtually non-existent. I am also certainly not stating that the education system is better in the US; I am highly aware of the extreme problems with funding, and also aware that education varies greatly state to state. I'm very thankful that I was given the (increasingly rare) opportunity in the US to get a good education in a well-financed state and had a seemingly endless amount of extra-curricular activities within arm's reach.

The news program also painted a rosy picture of children being in school for ten or twelve hours a day when the truth is, they're exhausted. They just want to be kids, and play computer games, spend time with their friends and eat snacks after school. I am not envious; I see my students falling asleep in class because they're up until midnight doing homework from two schools, then have to start all over again at 5:30 the next morning. Crazy how things are so different.

Here's another problem: a complete lack of organization. On a daily basis, my co-teacher informs me of schedule changes quite literally last minute. Yesterday, while walking to my class, she informed me that there would actually be no class that day. Later on, during lunch, she told me she had "forgotten to mention" the class from the morning would actually be in 45 minutes.

Also, yesterday my third grade students took their final exams. That's a true statement: they are finished learning mandated curriculum for the rest of the year. However, the school year doesn't end until February 15. Doing the math, that's about eight weeks of a weird kind of limbo where I can't really teach them anything, but I have to teach them something: that's right, no showing movies allowed. It's frustrating beyond belief; when I asked my co-teacher about this discrepancy, ie, why they are finished so early, and why I basically have to babysit them for eight weeks, she replied, "You just need to prepare them for high school. With your own materials." So, yes, they have to be in school from 8AM to 4PM with me every day, that is absolutely finite. But, what I'm teaching them is my choice, and it certainly won't be rocket science, especially considering they've already been accepted into high schools, and I can't give them any more grades, tests, or critiques.

Ultimately, I will try, at least at first, to teach them something interesting. This week we're learning how to survive a zombie attack. Next week we will explore the depths of the world's oceans. One the one hand, it's quite affirming that I get to teach whatever I want, and even better when my students are interested in the things I also like. Soon there will be a lot of middle schoolers in Gyeongsangnam-do that really like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and 90s R&B songs.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home