Things I Don't Remember

eating snacks all around the world

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tax Fail

It's tax season, which is a really confusing time being overseas in a country where no one understands anything about taxes. Trying to communicate with my school's administrative offices is incredibly difficult.

About two months ago, I realized I would need to do something about my taxes while over here. I didn't know WHAT I needed, specifically, to show to US Government to prove my earnings over here, but I knew I needed something. Back in January, I contacted Alistair, my ever-helpful recruiter, and asked him what the deal was. He informed me I needed to get a copy of my "residency certificate," a form I thought I had already applied for- in July 2011.

After a short investigation, Alistair told me that yes, I had already done everything I needed to do, and all we needed now was for the IRS to send a copy of that residency certificate to Korea, me to give it to my school's administration staff, and them to file it with the office of education. Then everything would be square.

Well, it took a long time, but Alistair got the form. He e-mailed me to let me know everything was gonna be ok, he was sending the form out to me express mail, and I should have it the next day. Well, two weeks went by and I never got the form. I e-mailed him yesterday to ask about it, and he informed me that he only uses protected mail, which has to be signed for (and a record is kept). He told me the administrative assistant had signed for the form on March 8th, and to ask the office about it.

This morning I showed my co-teacher the letter, and asked her to ask the office if they knew anything about it. No one knew anything, and they swore up and down that no one had signed for anything addressed to me, or anything at all. They refused to look for the paper, and left me completely crestfallen. I am so beyond frustrated with the situation being handled this way; my co-teacher simply asked, "Can't you get another form?"

I almost lost it on her. NO, I CAN'T get another form. That's the whole point. This form was sent weeks ago from the US, and YOU LOST IT. Can't you just $&*@#^# FIND IT!?!??! They don't understand why I'm even upset, which is most bothersome....

Alistair promised to call my school later today to try to get to the bottom of the situation. Hopefully he can help me!!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home