Things I Don't Remember

eating snacks all around the world

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Scarecrow Party Time!

Today I was taken on a trip by Ellen, my co-teacher, to a small nearby farming village called Munsan. This week is the annual Cosmos Scarecrow festival, where THOUSANDS of scarecrows, called "Cosmos," are put up in rice paddies and fields of wild flowers. The clothes these scarecrows are wearing are donated by the community, and there were a lot of scarecrows who were wearing more stylish outfits than me, haha.

I took a lot of photos.... but understand, these fields go on for MILES. There were so many I wanted to capture!! A lot were posed in hilarious poses (a conga line, a family portrait, etc: it must be a real art to make these things, clothe them, and arrange them!). It serves as an attraction to draw people out of the city to come and buy freshly harvested fruits and veggies from the farmers.


From far away, they look like people, don't they?

The flowers are planted after the rice is harvested, and give the soil a break from the strain of growing a staple food, for a couple of years. They also smell so nice :)

a lady scarecrow in traditional korean dress

Stylish stick men, the 2nd one has a purse :)

Scary?

He doesn't want his hood up!

Running towards us!!!! In a rice paddy.

Frolicking together through the rice!!
Scaring crows!
Ellen also helped me get a cell phone today and showed me how to work my hot water heater. First hot shower in a month!!! Yay!!

More soon,
M.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pictures! Keep 'em coming....
Love, Mom

September 29, 2011 at 5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home